Monday, August 30, 2010

Sorry for Neglecting You!!

So, I found out that like everything else I try in my life, I start it & then I get temporary ADD. Hope I don't offend anyone, but that's the best way I can describe it. I get so side-tracked with so many different things. I think Heather at SimpleDaisy seems to relate to me! So sorry for neglecting my blog & my blog friends. I'll try harder to stay fOcUsEd!!!

For now, here is a quick lesson about glass fishing floats with spindles!

Spindles are formed inside glass fishing floats during the glass blowing process, or when they are formed in molds (depending on how they are made). They are simply threads, or filaments, of glass that have basically dripped inside the float. Some can be thicker than others. It all depends on the float.

Here's an example of a very cool spindle inside a 4" float!



Here is an example of a 3-piece mold float with 2 very fine spindles inside. This is actually very, very rare! I found this float myself on a beachcombing trip along the coast of the Aleutians a couple of years ago. You can imagine how incredibly thrilled I was to find this beauty! It's a total gem & someone would have to pay me a million dollars before I would get rid of it!!! If anyone has that kind of money laying around & would like to buy this float, feel free to contact me!

You might have to enlarge this photo to see the spindles clearly.

All types of floats have spindles, although they are uncommon to rare in most. I have a really cool sausage float with a spindle inside. This one is quite rare, as well. These floats were made in a mold. Here's a photo of it.


I have actually found 2 other floats with spindles out of thousands & thousands I have beachcombed. The filaments of glass are so fine that they can barely be seen. If you consider the journey these floats had out on the ocean & the fact the spindles are still intact, that is quite remarkable.

There is also another category of spindles ~ side spindles. These aren't really comparable to an actual spindle, but sometimes they are pretty cool. Here is an example of a side spindle in a 12" pink float I recently acquired. It's the line on the right.



This occurs when a drop of glass basically dribbles freely on the side. That's the best explanation I can come up with at the moment, but I think you can probably understand what I'm trying to say!!

Sometimes the side spindles are stuck against the interior of the float. Occasionally, they can be quite pronounced & noticeable. I've even seen some that look like ribbons on the inside of the float. I have one in my collection, but no photo at the moment.

Here are a couple of photos of side spindles from floats I sold in my Etsy shop.



So, if you have any glass fishing floats, or find any, be sure to take a close look inside!! You might find yourself a really unique treasure! Feel free to write with any questions.

Here's a little something extra.........


I took this photo in Homer last week while I was delivering a glass float order!

Have a GREAT week!!!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lesson/information about the floats. My DH has been very impressed with my knowledge about the subject lately, thanks to you :).
    As a side note, we visited one of my husband's uncles on Saturday and the people next door had a large float hanging in a net on their front porch. I REALLY wanted to go over and check it out to see if it was real or a reproduction! DH said he didn't think that was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is totally refreshing, please don't feel any pressure - remember, we all have RSS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You blog when you blog! No worries!! I know exactly how you feel, i am all over he place when it comes to ideas and recreating things. It is hard to stay focused!!
    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to read about the floats Kamichia - they are so very beautiful. What I would not give to have the opportunity to pick these up for my self along a coast line! I so love them~~~

    vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good and fragile. I have never seen them before other than your blog..I wonder if they are really fragile as I see them from here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I found a spindle in one of my floats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a total crackup! That's what happens to us girls when we have that entrepreneur bug, can totally relate! Feel so bad when I can't seem to find time to read as many blogs as I would like. No worries, so happy to see some more photos and info about your glass floats.
    Caron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maya....Shoot me a photo!!! I wanna check it out! :)

    Glass floats are quite sturdy. I rarely find broken floats on the beach. They travel thousands & thousands of miles on the ocean currents & they're glass! It's so amazing!

    Glass floats are just COOL!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting!!!
    Glass floats are so very cool:)
    I just love mine and at some point hope to get some more:)!
    Hope all is well with you....happy float hunting:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so interesting! Each one truly does have it's own personality.

    ReplyDelete